17 March 2010

Kimurakan Japanese Cafe

When it comes to having lunch, I am very fond of the idea of the Japanese Boxed Lunch aka 'Bento'.  Although I have tried Izakaya Chuji many times (Average of AUD15~ per bento), I was set in my mind to look for a another place offering similar quality and quantity bentos.  After a short search, I came across this quiet little establishment called Kimurakan Japanese Cafe located along Little bourke Street.  This place is known for its large variety of cheaper bentos and I agree with the variety part only.

DSC_0065
Kimurakan on Lt Bourke St.
What looks quiet and empty the first minute...

Here is a straight up write up on what I think of this place.

There is an open air kitchen clearly visible through the glass panel, but is hidden when seated.  A slim 'noren' covers just enough of what goes behind of the kitchen, yet revealing enough to pay attention to the servers going about their business.  Being a very curious person, I find this very exciting, albeit worried that I might see some minor foul play done to my food.  Ahhh~ When eating outside, never try to look at how the food is being prepared.

Ok, back to the dining area of the establishment.

DSC_0072
...is quickly filled up in the next.

If you are a fan of the quick and large lunch, this place trumps fast food joints.  The turnover rate during lunch hour is pretty high and there are ample of seats on the second floor.  Service is quick and you will be greeted with many fair Japanese waitresses in jeans and sneakers. *wink*

DSC_0060
Tori Teriyaki Bento - AUD11
Marinated Chicken with onion in Teriyaki sauce,
Gyoza (Japanese fried dumpling),
With a side of Jelly as dessert.
Tofu Ankake (a style of Japanese Fried Tofu).
And Salad.

Quite a variety, as with most bentos, which is why bentos are a good choice for a balanced lunch, or meal.  The chicken is flavourful and mix well with the rice.  The Gyoza tastes stale and the texture feels like it has just been defrozen.  The Jelly is much like any other agar-agar.  The Tofu is very well done.  Crispy on the outside, fluffy and soft on the inside.

DSC_0063
Kimurakan Bento - AUD18.80
Tonkatsu (Fried Pork),
Tatsuta-age (Japanese Style Fried Chicken),
Harumaki (Spring roll),
Steamed Prawn and Oyster,
Takoyaki (Missing from my portion)
Croquette (Missing from my portion)
Tempura Fish (Seems to be replaced by a Tempura Ebi (Prawn)), 
Gyoza (Japanese fried dumpling),
Tofu Ankake (a style of Japanese Fried Tofu).
And Salad.

As you may be able to see, this is already a lot of variety in a single meal.  I am kind of bumped out due to some of the items stated on the menu are absent in my portion.  Seeing as how I am paying close to 20 bucks for a bento, I'd expect them to deliver and not miss out on any of the items.  I blatantly have very bad memory so I took a shot of the menu, but realised it a little too late when I checked before writing this up.  Oh well...It could be that it is the same name but on the lunch menu, so it could be my mistake entirely.

The fried items on the top corner are fresh and crispy.  They are very well drained of oil and hasn't a single hint of sogginess.  I dumped the oyster because I am allergic to it, but the prawns are tasty thanks to the light soy sauce.  The Tofu and Gyoza are the same as the above.  Tofu = good, Gyoza = rubbish.

All bentos are served with a choice of miso soup, green tea, soda or ice lemon tea.  Try the ice lemon tea.  It is really strong...my kind of drink!

A note to all Food Enthusiasts and establishments...Variety should always be backed up by consistency.  I understand that most establishments strive to offer a more vivid array of products ranging from different prices.  I'd strongly suggest that they try to keep up with the consistency of the quality to the price or take it off the menu.

Finally, I would also suggest that diners bring cash because the limit to the FPOS (Aussie debit card system) is a minimum of 30 bucks.

Kimurakan Japanese cafe info:

238 Little Bourke,
Melbourne, VIC.
Tel: 03-9650 2038
Email: kimurakan238@yahoo.com

Photo Info.

Shot with my usual Nikon D700, 17-35mm f/2.8.  Hand-held, no flash. Florescent lighting coming from the kitchen and strong changing arvo sunlight/shade through the window.  The black edges around the bento box makes it tricky.

Ciao!
Stout.

No comments:

Post a Comment