11 February 2010

Meiji Japanese Cafe, Again

    It would appear that we really do have a thing for dining out, especially for a place with really good food for a relatively low price.  Here's more shots of when we paid a visit to Meiji again.  Click here for the Flickr album.

DSC_9061
Meiji Japanese Restaurant

 DSC_9136

DSC_9067

DSC_9081

 DSC_9118 
Meiji's Menu

     So, with the many times we've been to this place, we've yet to try any of the deserts.  I'd usually prefer heading somewhere else or shopping for grocery to buy some sweets since it's much cheaper.  One hot and sweaty day later, I might just get some green tea ice cream here.

DSC_9074

DSC_9077

    I am a very big fan of wooden and clean eating utensils.  The bamboo spoons are my particular favourite here as they are very smooth and do not flake.

DSC_9087
Sake Ikura
Salmon, Salmon Roe & Quail EGG.

      If you enjoy eating fish on rice as much as me, this would be a treat!  The fish was a little overcooked and dry, but when mixed with the gravy in the rice, it was just right.  I particularly like the huge salmon roe.  The saltiness of the roe bursting inside my mouth as I bite into them and the taste swirling around my taste buds was a treat that I looked forward to every time I scooped some into my mouth.

DSC_9085
Sanshoku
Salmon, Pork Mince Meat & Fried Eggs.

    Crystal ordered the Sanshoku again.  This is the ultimate baby food dish IMO, being very easy to eat and swallow.  I had a bit of the pork mince meat and it wasn't as dry as the fish.  Mixed with the steamy gravy in the rice, it melts in your mouth.

DSC_9092

DSC_9094
Kamameshi
(Click for info on Kamameshi)

    I have found myself to be very fond of this Japanese clay pot way of cooking.  My particular favourite is when the rice is burnt properly and creates a pilaf-like base.  The sweetness and crunchiness of this rice mixed with the gravy soaked rice in the middle is fun for my tongue!  Anyway, most of the time, the rice is so soaked with gravy that it doesn't get burnt properly a few times I've ordered the Kamameshi.

DSC_9129
Gyu-Niku Ramen
Beef, Onions & Pan Fried Egg .

DSC_9133
Meiji Ramen
Pork, Fish cake, Egg & Vegetables.

    The Ramen portion is almost just right for me for brekkie and lunch.  For dinner, however, you will definitely get hungry under an hour.  One of the cheapest dishes in Meiji, 17AUD for TWO, it's definitely an affordable place to head to for lunch.  The meat of these dishes is VERY tender and juicy.  The soup base is just right as in, not too salty nor is it too subtle.  The ramen isn't as thick as the Korean Shin Ramyun, but it's just right for me because I don't really like my noodles to be so thick.  As you may have thought, I think that the ramen is just right, but I do not think the world of it.

    This would be the second time eating ramen outside here in Melbourne.  I find it rather odd that I am being served with a mini ladle like spoon.  Perhaps this is how ramen is served in certain parts of Japan.  I am Malaysian and I like eating with multiple utensils at once.  In the end, Crystal is bugging me to head back to this place SOON because she really enjoyed the pork with her Meiji ramen so much.  I am glad that we've found a decent and affordable place to eat at.

    A little inside info...Meiji Restaurant is owned by some Japanese and Hongkie and run by Chinese Staff.  It would feel more authentic if we'd be greeted with 'Irasshaimase' (welcome, in shops) instead of a 'Hello'. Other than that, I came here to fill my belly =)

Photo info: Taken with a Nikon D700, 17-35mm f/2.8. No flash, hand-held.

Stout Out.

No comments:

Post a Comment