02 April 2011

Manuel Librodo: March 2011 Kuala Lumpur

March 2011, I was given the honor to be the VA (Volunteer Assistant) for one of the many Manuel Librodo's workshops organised by Dr. Teh Ban Hup.  Before I start off, thank you, guys!  Really!

Technical wise, these images were neither cropped nor alligned, yet.  And from here on out, I thank the models, designers and MUAs by showcasing their art and talent.

The Slightest Crystal Tear
The Slightest Crystal Tear

The costume and design, makeup and modelling were all done by this single mysterious creature, Kharunisia Jazmin...who also happens to be a photographer herself, but she uses a Canon (pfft)  *smirks*

I really like looking at how the light just manage to hit only the face and parts of the hands.  Although technical wise, as a critic I'd whinge that the rest of her skin tone (her body itself) is dark and in a weird skin tone.

Post processing was done with the inspiration by a song called Innocente, by Delerium ft. Leigh Nash.

"You can't see my eyes, and they don't see your's, Hear me when I say, "I don't mind at all.""

Shot with an 85 1.4 at full burst bracketting.

PS:  I'm no longer scared of clowns.  I mean, look at her.  "Nakakainis ka" *Huff a snicker*

Sunrise in the Morning
Sunrise in the Morning

This is Kharunisia Jazmin again.  She's really quick when it comes to changing and reapplying make up on location.  If it were me, I'd need to take a bath or something along those lines.  Props for gunning it, Spartan Stylin'!

Here, I wanted to have a little bit of contrast with the cool and warm colours with a little bit of inspiration after reading books by Joe McNally. To paraphrase, "Skin tone will always look better in warmer tones.)  And on a more scientific aspect, the human skin lacks the colour blue, so if you were to dress in blue, or be put in a blue surrounding, the colour contrast itself will bring out the magnitude of that fine skintone.

Was listening to this CD which I just bought and the image of what I'd like to portray just hit me.  It happened along the lines of a song called Satellite Of Love (Fabio XB Rework Dub), by Bartlett Bros Vs. Mazza, taken from the album In Search Of Sunrise 8: South Africa [Disc 2], compiled by Richard Durand.  Dub voice is the in thing for me ever since I heard Ferry Corsten's opening track from Mixed Live: Spundae, Nothing (93 Returning mix) by Holden and Thompson.

Just by lowering the exposure and changing the colour temperature, you can produce results such as the background looking as though Mr. Sun hasn't awoken yet...but further analysis of the light and shadows hitting Kharu's face suggests that it is indeed an afternoon sun.

I'm Not Abandoned
I'm Not Abandoned

This is Dian Sharlin.  Her name is pronounced as how Diane Arbus wants her 'Diane' to be pronounced.  Cute coincidence, really.  I think she's a TV hostess.  =P

MUA, costume and design are all done by the very talented and meticulous Nigel NJ.

It was rather difficult to light up her shadows as I had to catch sufficient light, that wasn't blocked by others, through a very small and tight opening by the window...without getting in the way of the photographers. Somehow, the lack of full fill light does produce some exceptional modelling shadows...and that's what it's about.

No real inspiration for this one, although other fellow photographers were inspired on how Dian looked like a princess in an abandoned castle.  If that was the case, I'm glad to be able to show off this princess' pride in the title...as the only reason I picked this shot was because I had eye contact and good exposure on the white lace.

Added a little bit of diffused glow to show off an imaged of her possibly being a beautiful ghostly spirit who decided to materialise in front of unsuspecting intrepid adventurers.  Hey, princess in an abandoned castle.  There had better be lots of GLOW!

The Black Widow
The Black Widow

Looking at how Kharunisia is in black and white like the Black Widow Spider (Latrodectus) crawling across the web to deliver that red 'kiss of death'.

I've come to my own understanding that when someone goes through the trouble of creating a fantastic design, it will always look best by being showcased as it is...and to actually make it seem real and as vivd as though you're present in front of the scene or person.  I was amazed in the detailed  and meticulous transformation of Kharunisia that I figured that I'd better "document" it properly.  Don't blow out the whites, keep the details in the shadows in check and show off that red lipstick.  I am showing you what I saw...if I weren't squinting from the harsh afternoon sun.

More to come, stay tuned.

Stout out...or rather back to homework and studying.

No comments:

Post a Comment